Friday, January 28, 2011

Lonely .v Alone

I have been thinking about this blog for quite some time and tonight my little brother, James T, messaged me on Facebook and asked "when you gonna blog? I have been checking it and you haven't been writing".

So here I am. Pondering still the difference between lonely and alone. I didn't want this chapter to be weak. Many people say that they are sick of being lonely. Some say that they are sick of being alone. I believe that the two words are often used interchangeably because they seem to mean the same thing. I believe them to be two completely different words.

Lonely is defined as:
1. affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
2. destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.
3. lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
4. remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak
5. standing apart; isolated

Alone is defined as:
1. separate, apart, or isolated from others
2. to the exclusion of all others or all else
3. unique; unequaled; unexcelled

I have come to the conclusion that I am definitely lonely at times (without company) but I will never be alone (isolated from others). At times it is perfectly acceptable to be lonely. I have days where I want to be without company. There are just days where I have had enough of people and want some deserved (and sometimes desired) peace and quiet! But there are not days where I want to be excluded from others. I am a social butterfly, or so I have been told. I do NOT want to be alone, EVER!

I was married for 8.5 years to a great guy who happened to not be the great guy for me. I have been companionless now for six years. Yes, there are days when I yearn so badly for someone to be sitting here at this small, yet comfortable place I rent. Someone to tell my day to. Someone to hold my hand and tell me that it is all going to be alright. Someone who will make me laugh, wipe my tears when I am sad, hold me in their arms for no other reason than just because. Yes I have been lonely!

Then, I remember that I am never alone. I have very wonderful friends and family members who without a doubt listen to me when my day has been bad or good. They, from distances, hold my hand to tell me it's all going to be alright. They make me laugh. They wipe away my tears. They hold me in their arms with loving care just because they can. No, I am NEVER alone. I have each one of you.

5 comments:

  1. You'll always have me too Chaz!! Love ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love You! I needed to read this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog my dear and best friend. You are correct, you are never alone, I am always and forever here for you, as well as so many others who love you dearly. Thank you for this, I now realize I too many feel lonely, despite living with someone, but I am never alone; not with the wonderful friends I have and my family. And let's not forget my little Rusty. haha Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, giving me much to think about as well! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete